Speedlite 320Ex – Get Creative With Added Light
Canon has a new external flash to accompany the new Canon Rebel T3i/600D. Keeping in line with the creative software additions to the T3i, the new Speedlite has some added functionality that has not been available on previous Canon Rebel Cameras.
A couple of things to note here:
- Part of the technology of the Canon Speedlite 320ex includes a new LED light that can be used when the T3i is in video mode. This is a first for Canon DSLR camera flashes.
- The Speedlite 320EX can be used to fire your Canon Rebel T3i remotely (from the flash unit), and it even has a delay so you can make sure your flash is correctly positioned.
Wireless Flash For Your T3i/600D With The Canon Speedlite 320ex
The Rebel T3i’s Easy Wireless mode makes controlling compatible Speedlites using the pop-up flash quite simple. Once the Speedlite is set to slave mode and the same channel as your Rebel, you can adjust the flashgun output using the in-camera flash exposure compensation feature.
Custom wireless mode provides even more control over the flash. It is possible to set the pop-up flash to not fire when the slave fires. You can even changes the lighting ratio between the two flash units (the pop-up and the Speedlite). This kind of control has not been available on any previous entry-level models.
From Canon about the Canon Speedlite 320ex
In a first for Canon Speedlites, the versatile new Speedlite 320EX features an LED light on the front of the flash body that can be used to illuminate nearby subjects in dim light. The light is ideal for video recording but can also be used as a modeling light or as an AF assist beam during Live View shooting. When used with EOS DSLRs that have integrated Speedlite transmitters, the Speedlite 320EX can be used as a wireless slave unit positioned off-camera. A flash release function further facilitates wireless flash shooting by enabling the shutter to be released remotely from the Speedlite 320EX with a two-second delay, which gives the photographer time to re-aim the flash if necessary. The Speedlite 320EX combines rich bounce functionality with high performance, ensuring smooth, professional-looking results.
- Built-in LED light can be used to illuminate nearby subjects in dim light -
- Versatile vertical and horizontal bounce capability provides an extended range of possible lighting effects.
- Flash release function triggers the camera wirelessly from the flash on a 2-second delay,
- Wireless Slave function supports three groups and four channels, allowing the flash to be positioned off-camera.
- Flash coverage switched by extending or retracting flash head, with Normal (24mm full-frame equivalent, max. Guide No. 79 ft./24m at ISO 100)
- Allows the flash to be repositioned to illuminate the subject.
- Especially useful when shooting video, as a modeling light or as an AF assist beam,
- Providing up to four hours of continuous lighting with fully charged AA batteries.
- Tele (50mm full-frame equivalent, max. Guide No. 105 ft./32m at ISO 100) settings.
- Power Source
1) Four size-AA/LR6 alkaline batteries are used. Ni-MH or lithium batteries can also be used.
2) This Speedlite is equipped with a power-saving function that turns off the power after 90 seconds if no operations are made.
- Recycling Time
1) Normal flash: Approx. 0.1 – 2.3 sec.
2) Quick flash: Approx. 0.1 – 1.8 sec.