Canon T3i VS Canon 60D
Buying a new Canon digital SLR camera creates some interesting choices. One of them is for those who are either just starting in DSLR photography or those who are upgrading from other “entry-level” DSLRs.
In this article, we will consider the differences and similarities of the Canon T3i vs 60D.
Price Break on Canon 60D and Rebel T3i At B & H Photo
|Canon 60D – $100 Off
Best Price At A Trusted Online Store
CLICK HERE To See the Canon 60D Deal at B & H Photo
|Canon Rebel T3i – $50 Instant Rebate
Limitied Time – Offer ends Soon
CLICK HERE to See the Canon Rebel T3i Deal at B & H Photo
These are Canon’s newest offerings in the digital SLR market. The T3i is a legitimate contender in the entry level arena, but for just a couple hundred dollars more, you can get the 60D. So, it is a comparison worthy of consideration.
In the table below, you will see that there are more Highlights on the 60D side, but you would expect that if the product is going to cost more. However, before jumping to conclusions, examine the table, then let’s meet on the other side.
Canon T3i VS 60D – Specifications
|Canon Rebel T3i||Canon 60D
|Price||$799 (Body Only)
Check Today’s Price
|$999 (Body Only)
Check Today’s Price
|Sensor Size||18.0 megapixels||18.0 megapixels|
|Image Processor||Digic 4||Digic 4|
|ISO||Auto, 100-6400 (12800 expanded)||Auto, 100-6400 (12800 expanded)|
|Digital Zoom||Yes (3-10x)||No|
|Number of Focus points||9||9|
|Focal Length multiplier (crop factor)||1.6x||1.6x|
|LCD screen||3″ Articulated panel||3″ Articulated panel|
|Minimum Shutter Speed||30 sec||30 sec|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||1/4000 sec||1/8000 sec|
|External Flash||Yes – Hot-shoe plus Wireless Sync||Yes – Hot-shoe plus Wireless Sync|
|Continuous Shooting||3.7 frames/sec||5.3 frames/sec|
|Battery Type||Lithium-ion LP-E8 rechargeable||Lithium-ion LP-E6 rechargeable|
|Environmentally Sealed||No||Yes (Water and Dust Resistant)|
|Weight||1.26lb (570g)||1.66lb (755g)|
Just a couple of things to point out that may sway one’s decision.
- First, notice that the sensor and processor are the same. This simply means that you will get the same image size and quality from both cameras. This actually is a HUGE plus for the T3i.
- Video is also the same… another plus for the Rebel.
- Both cameras offer similar creative options such as Soft Focus, Grainy Black and White, and a few others.. again similar.
The areas that give the 60D its edge are not as obvious to a first-time buyer, but they may be significant and therefore worth mentioning.
- First, the controls of the 60D make settings a bit easier. There is a wheel on the rear of the body rather than the 4 selection buttons on the T3i. The selection wheel has more functionality. And then there are a few more buttons on top of the camera that make accessing some of your settings easier. There is no LCD settings display window at the top of the T3i as there is on the top of the 60D. This is another clear advantage for the 60D.
- Second, the continuous shooting in frames per second on the 60D is about 50% faster. If you are planning to shoot lots of action, the 60D has a major advantage. And along the same line, the shutter speed goes up to 1/8000 sec on the 60D.
- Third, battery life on the 60D is rated more than double that of the T3i. Of course, a battery grip is available for both to extend useful shooting time, but this is an added cost.
The Canon T3i vs 60D decision is not an easy one, unless one of these feature differences is a deal-maker for you.
Hopefully, this information will make your decision easier. It is always good to know how your camera is going to fit your needs before making the purchase. Shopping smarter saves time and money.
Side-by-side video with a Canon Rebel T3i VS Canon 60D